myads

Wednesday, February 28, 2007

"Old Gowrie" and I

I love most of the Rattray blends. One of their legendary blends is "Old Gowrie". I tried it and did not like it. It seemed bitter, harsh and grassy. I left the tin in the humidor for a few months then revisited it to give it a more honest chance.

I now find this blend to be very good. I have been smoking it almost daily and have noticed the various nuances of flavor it can provide. It can also turn nasty if not treated with the utmost respect. Old Gowrie seems to smoke best in my meerschaums where it tastes sweet and light. When packed a bit loose using the 3-level method it burns well without many relights and retains that sweetness throughout the bowl. It does increase with strength but never seems "over-the-top".

This shows me that there is a lot to be said about giving a blend at least one full tin before coming to a conclusion. Perhaps I should give a few other blends a revisit to see if I may have misjudged them.

No comments:

Post a Comment