myads

Sunday, February 25, 2007

NOCTURNE

Hello all...

During my hiatus from my usual business of making music (medical reasons) I've been doing some of my writing. My most recent work is a very short piece called "Nocturne". I think many pipe smokers would enjoy it since pipes are prominent in the story. I would like to share it here in hopes that some of you may find it entertaining. My apologies to those who think it sucks...

NOCTURNE

The night is dark and cold. The wind is calm as the snow saunters towards the ground. Windows that proudly displayed bright sunshine mere hours ago now wear glistening gowns of crystal. The room is silent. The faint amber glow of the candle’s flame provides the sole source of light. Nestling back into the comfort of the leather recliner, I kick off the corduroy slippers and pull the blanket up to my chest.

Reaching for the tamper made from Black Palm wood, I gently press it around the warm bed of tobacco ash. I take a long relaxed draw from the pipe then slowly create a soft cloud of blue smoke. My eyes lazily follow the curved wisps of the tobacco’s spirit emanating from the bowl like apparitions performing a ghostly dance in a macabre celebration of their release unto the heavens. The taste of the blend is delightful to my senses. The scent of pipe and tobacco in unison tantalizes the nose and calms the soul. The briar feels warm and natural in my hand, like an old friend, enhancing the comfort of solitude. I lay back contemplating complex thoughts and exploring nocturnal dreams.

Serenity is broken as several electric lamps turn on. Looking out the window I see flashing yellow lights reflecting off the iced glass. The sounds of trucks pulling away from the utility pole in front of the house bring reality back to my inner sanctum.

I clap my hands two times and the room returns to the candlelight, and I to my nocturnal dreams.

No comments:

Post a Comment